Have a Look!
Contact Us
Other News

The aim of the Friends of Hope Bagot Church is to strengthen the feeling of community we share and to widen the circle of people who already value the church and the churchyard, and contribute to their maintenance, or who simply visit and enjoy its peace and tranquillity.

Within the church, there is an inscription on the wall behind the pulpit which reads: "This Church was adorned anno domini 1681".
It seems probable that a considerable amount of work was done at this time including the restoration of the roof of the Nave and the installation of the altar rails. The Patron at this time was Sir William Jones who was Attorney General to Charles II and a very rich man.
In 1986, the Shropshire Family History Society gave the church a copy of the "Monumental Inscriptions of St. John the Baptist (excluding the interior of the church)" This was transcribed by Knowbury Woman’s Institute which lists 95 inscriptions between 1707 and 1982 and which was updated in 1999.
The local community are very proud of their picturesque little Norman church and its pretty churchyard. The churchgoers and visitors alike are made welcome. The church door is unlocked each morning and locked up again at dusk.
NB This description is drawn entirely from a longer document prepared by Mr. Darlington, the original of which is in the Hope Bagot Millennium Time Capsule to be opened in the year 2100.

There is a very ancient Yew tree in the churchyard itself. This may have survived its youth because it was considered to be a sacred tree – its position possibly relating to the well beneath the tree whose waters are believed to have healing properties for eyes and may well have been used for Baptism in the early years, hence the dedication of the church to St. John the Baptist. There is a certificate hanging in the Vestry authenticating the tree as at least 1600 years old and signed by four people well known in their respective fields: David Bellamy, naturalist; Allen Meredith, Arboriculturist; Robert Hardy, Longbow enthusiast; And Robert Runcie, the then Archbishop of Canterbury. They appended a note on the back stating that "This is a minimum age, the tree is probably much older".
The present procedure for maintaining the churchyard is to allow the wild flowers to grow throughout the Spring so that the whole churchyard is a mass of colour and is at its best around the time of the annual festival in May. The grass is cut in July and friends of the church help with raking up the grass, trimming edges, tidying the graves and in general maintaining the surroundings, including cutting the hedges. In this work Caring For God's Acre http://www.caringforgodsacre.org.uk/ and the Stourbridge Rambling Club have become firm supporters so that up to 30 people are involved in the exercise. This is followed by lunch on the lawn in the churchyard or the Village Hall, depending on the weather. Thereafter the grass is cut approximately every three weeks until the Autumn with some patches being left to allow late flowering plants to seed. There are over 100 species of wild flowers and grasses and almost as many lichens growing in the churchyard. Joy Ricketts and Claire Leather, who are lichen experts, came from Worcester and surveyed the lichens on the church and gravestones and produced a list of 65 species.

In the church, there are leaflets with a map showing three walks around the parish which many visitors have found worth following.